Saturday, May 2, 2009

Transformation

The new green of the woods is taking my breath away. Every morning this week, there's been a point when the light is returning and I suddenly look up from my computer surprised once again by the color outside my window.

For months, the trees have been skeletal against the sky. Brown and gray have been the order of the day, the only color an occasional flash of red from one of the cardinals stalking the feeders.

But now the green is filling in the blanks. The oaks and the hickories are sporting small leaves of that intense yellow-green you only see this time of year.

In a few weeks, the color will deepen into the rich green of summer. Mr. D and I call it "the green wall." In the wintertime, you can see deep into the forest; you can easily see the contours of the land as it rises behind us. Not so once the fullness of summer comes.

The first green of spring is almost imperceptible. Walking the late winter landscape several weeks ago, I kept seeing green out of the corner of my eye, but when I looked in that direction - nothing.


I finally realized I had to look closer: the green in my peripheral vision was lichen on the trunks of the trees. So subtle I almost missed it.

Nothing subtle about Mother Nature now. The physical transformation of the landscape is well underway as she blatantly displays her beauty.

No wonder our ancestors celebrated this time of year for its promise of new life.

No comments: