Saturday, September 20, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! (And the XIX Amendment…)

It’s my birthday and we’re giving me a blog as a present.

I’m older, wiser (well, one can hope), and definitely crankier. With the descriptor “little old lady” showing up off there on the horizon, I figure I should start taking advantage now of one of the only advantages of being old: you get to mouth off and people just react with a “Well, you know how she is…”

You also have a lot of stories to tell because you’ve seen a lot: death, chronic illness, menopause, adventures, extended unemployment, incredibly stupid decisions on your part (it’s a wonder you’re still alive!), and even more incredibly stupid decisions on the part of our so-called leadership (from city government on up).

Balancing that out, though, are those moments of sweetness, those moments of clarity when you see beyond the mundane (or monumental amount of) shit with which we all deal.

I like the way Ralph says it: “Evermore in the world is this marvelous balance of beauty and disgust, magnificence and rats.”

Though often disgust and rats seem to have the upper hand…

But then a hummingbird stops by to feed at a bright red zinnia.

Ergo, this blog…



And happy birthday to the XIX Amendment, into law on this date in 19??.

That’s the one giving women the right to vote. So today, in case you didn’t know, is officially Women’s Equality Day AND my birthday. (When I pointed out this synchronicity to my mother, she just nodded and said thoughtfully, “Well, that explains it…”)

Women were jailed and force-fed for our right to vote. Let’s exercise it in November.

No comments: