Sunday, February 8, 2009

Who's That Knocking on My Door? Part II

A couple weeks ago, something other than my cats tried to get through the cat door - but backed off when it heard my voice. Scared the crap out of me.

I kinda forgot about it, but then we noticed the giant dog food bag kept winding up on the floor of the pantry/laundry room/mudroom. A corner of the bag had been chewed open. There was also a lot more mud than usual tracked around in the mudroom as well.

Cue all those 'funniest home videos' showing critters coming stealthily through a cat door at night.

We knew we had a home invader, but weren't sure what.

We started closing the pantry door at night to keep the dog and cats out of the pantry and whatever was invading in. Mr. D baited a live trap we have (you acquire those kinds of things living in the woods), put it in the pantry and waited. Three nights passed unsuccessfully. (Unsuccessful for us - but we could tell our home invader was still invading.)

So, last night, we tried a new tack. We plugged the cat door and put the trap (with a tantalizing heap of canned cat food) on the porch just outside the pantry door, next to the cat door.


This morning - success! Rocky Raccoon is inside the trap and will soon be transported to some woods far away from ours. I kinda feel sorry for the little guy, but not sorry enough to keep letting him inside to feast on whatever he can find.

I hope he doesn't have any friends. Do raccoons travel in packs?

And I'm rethinking the cat door......


No comments: